Thursday, May 28, 2009

How can we sleep when our cranks need turning?




Spring time is bike time, and New York's new biker friendly attitude is bringing out more bikers than ever. From fixed gears to mountain bikes to vintage frames, plus Jack Spade's bike shop on Bleeker St. and Club Monaco's venture in velo territory the city is teeming with stylish cyclists. I ride a rusty red Ross that was given to my by a friend at an old job. I've had Ross for about 2 years and I pretty much ride her year round. I often toy with the idea of getting a new lighter (I think Ross weighs more than I do) bike, but I feel like it would be bad bike karma. Ross has been so good to me for so long, and considering she lives on the street and hasn't been tampered with or stolen (I for sure just jinxed myself) - I figure, why tempt the fates/ NY bike theifs with something shiny and new.

But its always fun to look, right? Two amazing but totally different bike manufacturers were recently brought to my attention. My very cool, stylish, beautiful-sweater designing, friend Maja just ordered a customized ride from Republic Bike ( the bottom image is one of their super fun creations). And Mikael at Copenhagen Cycle Chic gave me a link to Velorbis (the top image is of one of there super sexy and sleek designs). I think I am more of a classic frame kind of gal, but there are certainly times when I could picture myself on a something more playful and modern - I suppose one can never have too many bikes. What kind of frame's pedals would you like to push?

No comments:

Post a Comment