Tuesday, April 28, 2009

whatever you do take care of your shoes


I always imagined I would be the kind of woman who got dressed for work. Not dressed in a suit and pumps kind of way but dressed, in the very French, I just rolled out of bed and look incredibly sexy and put together topped off with a pair of killer heels kind of way, i.e. Carine Roitfed, Franca Sozzani, Emmanuelle Alt, and basically every woman photographed by Scott Schuman. Especially the ones on bikes- oh, how I dream of one day being immortalized by The Sartorialist on my rusty red bike, effortlessly stylish, cruising around town.
Alas, although I dress in effortless and (I hope) stylish outfits-my pièce de résistance is not a pair of killer heels. Perhaps it is my always practical mother's influence, perhaps it is the fact that some days I am on my feet for hours at a time, but the bottom line is, I am a woman who wears flats to work and, I must admit, love it.
The above photograph was taken at my company holiday party- the heels belong to my fiercely stylish colleagues (I believe I was wearing black 14 hole Dr. Martens that evening). I love this picture, and was thrilled when my friend Yas (also a lover of flats and a woman with a great eye for fonts) asked if should could hang it up in her house. Even though I don't wear killer heels on a daily basis (I have been known to add some serious additional inches during non-office hours), it doesn't mean I can't appreciate a few pairs when I see them. As for my pièce de résistance, I don't have one just yet- I think I'll need at least few more years to find the one item that totally defines my personal sense of style. (Special thanks to my genius friend for opening my eyes to the wonderful world of hyperlinks.)

No comments:

Post a Comment